Saturday, July 12, 2008

Teaching and Biking in Burlington

This week Dennis and I took a midweek, 2-day vacation. I gave a cartooning workshop in Colchester at the Burnham Memorial Library, which is a short drive from Burlington. Jon Chadurjian lives nearby, so we teamed up for the workshop. We each gave presentations about our cartooning process, then we worked with the students to make a comic anthology. Each student made a page of comics based on characters and a location that we provided. I drew the character designs and Jon Chad drew a map. It was a fun activity. I brought home the pages, and I'll print up some mini-comics this weekend.






After the workshop, it was vacation time! Jon showed Dennis and me around Burlington, a town (or city?) I had never explored before. We took a 20-mile bike ride around Burlington and along the coast of lake Champlain. I highly recommend the Lake Champlain Bikeways in Burlington; it's scenic, shady, and it has few challenging hills. It was definitely a highlight of the trip!






We visited several stores and coffee shops while in downtown Burlington. I'd describe Burlington as a pedestrian-friendly college town and tourist destination. It's a nice place, but certainly different from the Vermont towns I know. I was very pleased to find an Indian restaurant, a Caribbean restaurant, and a Japanese restaurant — all on the same corner!

No comments: