Monday, March 17, 2008

ker-SPLAT

This weekend I went down to New York with Dennis and a bunch of CCS students to attend the SPLAT Graphic Novel Symposium. This was the event's debut year, and I think they pulled it off quite nicely. You couldn't ask for a better venue - it was held in the library of The General Society of Mechanics and Tradesmen. It's in a gorgeous old building, grand yet utilitarian.

SPLAT had 3 tracks of programming, their audience seemed to be teachers, librarians, students, and members of the publishing industry. CCS had a table of promotional material and student work, and we attracted a pretty large audience.


Here's Paul Karasik "shilling" for CCS.

I spent the rest of the weekend catching up with friends, wandering with Dennis, and eating a lot of excellent vegan food.

Vegans of the world, listen: you must try the drumsticks at Foodswings.



For a while know, I've been working on a project in my sketchbook. It doesn't have much structure, I'm just sketching out ideas and hoping they'll come together in a pleasing way. The tentative title is Why's it Got to be So Hard? It's about the struggle (well really, MY struggle) to make comics. Making comics is hard! But does it have to be? Comics take discipline! But does that mean comics can't be fun?



For me, these are almost spiritual questions.

I hope this comic will be reflective and somewhat educational, or at least handy.

4 comments:

Liz Baillie said...

None of your photos are showing up!

robyn said...

Dude, I swear they are there. For some reason they are taking 5 minutes to appear.

I'm glad to know you're reading Liz!

K. Thor Jensen said...

If making comics is so hard how come so many dummies do it?

Anonymous said...

You might like this comic then, My Muse by Diana Sprinkle:

http://www.webcomicsnation.com/gc/muse/series.php